When SHTF, like really hits the fan, and you find yourself in a dire situation near the coast or onboard a vessel, fresh drinking water might become scarce. But there’s a survival trick worth its weight in gold: turning salt water into potable water. Here’s a basic guide on how to do just that.
Understanding The Need
Our bodies require freshwater to function. Drinking salt water, even when desperate, can lead to dehydration due to the high salt content. Thus, desalinating that water becomes crucial in survival situations.Fresh Water Anywhere: Claim your Ready Filter Here!
1. Solar Desalination (Solar Still Method)
– Clear plastic sheet
– A container
– A digging tool (even your hands will do)
1. Dig a hole in the ground near the salt water source. The deeper and wider the hole, the more water you can collect.
2. Place the container in the center of the hole.
3. Pour salt water around the container, but not into it.
4. Cover the hole with the clear plastic sheet, securing the edges with rocks or sand to keep it tight.
5. Place a small rock in the center of the sheet, right above the container.
6. As the sun heats the ground, water will evaporate, condense on the plastic, and drip into the container as freshwater.
2. Distillation Method
– A pot with a lid
– A container (like a cup or another pot)
– A heat source
1. Fill the large pot partially with salt water.
2. Place the smaller container (cup or pot) in the center of the larger pot. Ensure it’s floating and not submerged.
3. Cover the larger pot with its lid but invert the lid so the concave part is facing downwards.
4. Boil the salt water. As it evaporates, freshwater will condense on the pot’s lid and drip into the smaller container. Fresh Water Anywhere: Claim your Ready Filter Here!
3. Commercial Desalination Filters
If you’ve planned ahead, there are several manual pumps and filters available on the market that can desalinate seawater. They can be a bit pricey but are worth considering if you live in coastal areas or plan to venture out to sea.
Hydration is a non-negotiable need, especially when SHTF. While these methods are effective, always remember to test the water, when possible, before drinking. Freshwater from these methods should taste almost neutral, without the saltiness of seawater. And as always, stay prepared and stay hydrated.
*This article contains 3rd party affiliate offers*